Friday, September 10, 2010

The Battery

According to a comment I heard on a science program on MPR the other day, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford had a bet on what would power the newly invented automobiles. As we all know, Henry Ford and his choice of petrol won the bet that cost Thomas Edison (a battery proponent) a $100.

It looks like we have come full circle... now, automakers are trying to wean us off petroleum products by touting a new "eco-friendly" way of transportation with their version of a car that runs on battery power.

All of us may eventually drive battery powered cars, but I was reminded last week that even though my truck is "powered" by gasoline, I still need my battery charged if I am going to be able to drive. I know this because I left the lights on all night and they ran my battery down requiring me to get "a jump" before I could go anywhere. The battery may not be the main source of power, but I challenge you to crank your vehicle that has a full tank of gas without a charged up battery!

As I have been preaching lately, the Holy Spirit is the Christian's "battery." He serves the purpose of getting us going and keeping us going. And without a "fully charged" life, we can't walk in obedience or grow in godliness.

If your spiritual battery is dead, I hope to see you at Sunday School and Worship this Sunday...nothing recharges our spiritual batteries like the study of the Bible, fellowship with other believers, and a time of annointed worship.

PS: Thanks Jeff for coming to my house and "jumping off" my truck!!
PSS: Francis Chan's book entitled The Forgotten God is a book on the Holy Spirit that I just completed...I highly recommend it!