Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Gift

I sent him a text and thanked him for the gift...we text every week. He is a member of our church but he has been a part of my life since I was 14. Though over 70, he texts like a teenager. In fact, he said that the learned to text so he could talk to his grandchildren...how many grandparents would go to that trouble?

I thanked him for the gift...a magazine subscription. I also thanked him for the fish...he left them in the freezer at the church. And while I was thanking him in a text message, I was also thanking Him in my heart...for bringing him into my life when I was 14.

While my parents were divorcing, he was taking me fishing, hunting, and out to lunch. He was helping me thru a rough time by giving me the "gift" of his time...how many folks would go to that trouble?

I have been blessed by his friendship thru the years. He is still giving me the gift of his time...we went fishing the other day at his deer camp and caught bream until we were tired of pulling them in. I have often thought of what gift I have given him? Am not really sure, but the gift of is friendship for over 35 years reminds me how important it is to have people in your life that really care about you.

Give a gift today...a thank you; a call; a visit...let someone know how grateful you are to have been given the gift of having their lives intersect with yours.