Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Water Heater

Early Monday morning, my wife said, "we don't have any hot water!" I immediately thought that we had run out of propane so I ran outside and checked the gauge....20%!  That wasn't the problem.

Then I thought, "Maybe the pilot light went out?" So I climbed the stairs, went into the attic, and looked at the water heater...sure enough, no blue flame.

Now, the dilemma...do I call one of the men in the church to come light my pilot, or do I attempt to do so myself?  I had heard stories of exploding water heaters and was a bit timid about attempting such a simple task...I am NOT a handy man!!  For example, I took the back off the toilet and pulled the plug myself for a month because I didn't know how to attach the chain to the lever!  (Just kidding...I'm not that stupid)  

After considering all the things that could go wrong, and the fact that I had not had my shower yet, I reluctantly struck the match and successfully got our hot water back!! I didn't blow up the house or catch the insulation on fire! Mission accomplished!

Not many of us "spiritual handy-mans." When something goes wrong in our lives, oftentimes we don't know whether to try to fix the problem ourselves or call someone else for help. Personally, I think that it depends on the problem.  Some problems can be fixed on our own with a little more prayer, bible study, or encouragement.  On the flip side, some problems require assistance from someone trained in that area. For example, I may be able to light a pilot, but I certainly could not install a water heater!  Along the same line, you may be able to handle a day or two of melancholy, but you are certainly not equipped to diagnosis depression...that's when you need some help.

If I can ever be that "someone" that you need to help you thru a time of difficulty, don't hesitate to call. And heck, if you need to have the pilot to your water heater lit, I can do that too!