Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Horsefly

The Bible says that the devil is like a roaring lion roaming the earth and trying to devour people. The Bible also says that he can masquerade as an angel of light and look like one of the good guys. And if you believe the story in Genesis (and I do) he can also take the form of a snake.

But I like the analogy that the devil is like a horsefly.  While Patty and I were getting in our daily run last Monday morning around 6, we were both having to swat horseflies off our heads and backs!  How annoying!  We tried to outrun them but we couldn't...we moved to the other side of the road and that didn't help.  Finally, after one stung me, he left me alone and I was able to finish my run with a whelp on my arm...ouch!( I needed some of my mawmaws Garrett Snuff juice!)

The devil does the same thing to me as I go about my daily tasks...swarming around me; trying to bite me; making me change directions; and just generally making my life miserable. According to the Bible, the way to deal with the devil who is making himself as annoying as a horsefly is to:

1. Flee from him...stop giving him  a place in your environment.
2. Talk back to him with Scripture...that's what Jesus did when the devil made a horsefly out of himself in Mt 4.
3.And if you get bit by the devil and give in to his lies, then confess your sin and start over. 1Jn 1:9

Watch out for the horseflies this week and Patty and I will see you Sunday!